Monday, May 07, 2007

Corrections and the Truth (“Negotiations key issue at Holland forum “Holland Sentinel 5/4/07)

Clare Friend’s submitted letter to the editor 5/5/07

First, I spell my name Clare Friend not Clara. For 12 years I proudly served as the chief negotiator for the teachers not the district as stated in the article.

Why was I mentioned at all is confusing to me when you did not mention Steve Grose’s or Susan DeJong’s spouses and their professions. I am not running for office.


In my 12 years of negotiating we had our difference, but we were a community and settled in peaceful ways. Much was given back to the district to retain benefits that the membership felt they needed. This is called negotiating. Steve and Susan do not understand that principle. Maybe that is because in their world they decide what is good for the employees and impose just like they tried to do to the teachers. Playing the “evil union” card, questioning the professionalism of teachers who are members of the union, as they did on their joint radio interview Friday, clearly points out they are the problem not the solution for better relationships.

I can assure you of my husband’s passion for all the children of Holland to have the best education possible and his desire to rebuild the school district’s working relationships that this leadership has destroyed in their two short years. That is his only agenda.


This discord is costing us already in recruiting the best teachers for the future. Other districts have hundreds of candidates for a position where we have only 12 for a similar position as stated in a Holland Sentinel article this week!


Vice-President DeJong wants to save programs at all cost! Does she not realize that it takes great teachers to teach those programs?

My question for President Grose is what “shared sacrifices” is he talking about? The Administration is above average in pay in Ottawa County while the teachers are the lowest.


My husband understands the real issue. It is about quality working relationships that will attract and keep great teachers. Steve and Susan have no plans to build for the future.

I do not want another four years like the last two that is why Clare Friend will NOT be voting for Steve Grose and Susan DeJong.